Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Evicted for being separated?

Posted by Sue on April 26, 1999 at 09:18:14:

In Reply to: Evicted for being separated? posted by Sue on April 26, 1999 at 09:15:53:

:
: I have been in this house for 4 years, I have another years lease on these premises. I have kept the premises in very good condition. I have paid my rent mostly on time for the past 4 years. This month because of a reduction in my income I sent my landlord a letter explaining I would not be able to pay the rent until two weeks after my due date, my landlord called me and I explained I was recently separated and my income was reduced I did voice my concerns about my being able to afford this house until the end of my lease. He said I could leave if I wanted to leave that I could. We both agreed that if I can find affordable housing somewhere else then I could leave by August 15th, I was clear that I thought I could continue to stay. Three days later I was sent a letter saying I'm in default and the four days later my house was listed for rent in the local paper. I was told he is telling prospective tenants that I will be out by June 1. I never agreed to this when I told the landlord there is no way I could leave June 1 because I had no money for deposits on another home he ignored me. I feel that he is trying to get rid of me not because I haven't paid and won't continue to do so, but because he now knows I'm separated and he's afraid I won't pay in the future. What do I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name