Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL defaulted, bank has taken over: California

Posted by Anna on April 17, 1999 at 10:10:50:

In Reply to: LL defaulted, bank has taken over posted by M. Alvarado on April 17, 1999 at 00:32:16:

: I live in LA; The LL has defaulted and lost the property I live in.
: I have not pd. rent in the last 2 Mos. I received a letter from
: the bank, stating that the house will be auctioned.
: What are my rights if the house is sold?

Here is a cut&paste from a tenant-lawyer's webpage (linked below), there is a lot more general tenant info on the site:

After the "Trustee's Sale" which concludes the foreclosure, the new owner [which is
sometimes the foreclosing bank] cannot legally take possession without then going through the
eviction process. As with the other kinds of evictions, the process does take time, during which
you can sort out your options. The former owner is entitled to a 3-day notice, and any tenant of
the former owner is entitled to 30 days' notice, before the eviction lawsuit can be filed.

You might also have the right to live out your whole lease (if you pay the rent to your new LL, the bank, of course!), but not a right to renew it: check the Ca info on the main page of Tenant.net, there are some free legal referrals there.

Try websites for LA city & LA county: this is from http://www.ci.la.ca.us/ click on the 'Service' button, then on the letter 'r':

Who Do You Call?
24-hr. Housing Department Hotline for information requests, referrals, and questions
regarding how to file complaints: (800) 994-4444.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name