Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Posted by Billee on April 14, 1999 at 13:14:40:

In Reply to: Re: Index numbers on my termination notice???? posted by Mark Smith on April 14, 1999 at 01:54:05:

THANK YOU !

: A termination notice doesn't have an index number. If you don't move out by the termination date, the landlord will bring a holover proceeding in housing court. Those papers have to have an index number.

: If the house has three or more units, it is a multiple dwelling. The landlord's case should be dismissed in housing court, because the landlord probably does not have a Multiple Dwelling Registration and/or a proper Certificate of Occupancy. The landlord would then have to bring a more expensive and time-consuming eljectment action, probably in state Supreme Court. If your apartment is illegal, there is a good chance that you won't have to pay any rent or use and occupancy for the rest of your time in the apartment.

:
: : Hi, I just received a termination notice from my landlord giving me 30 days to leave otherwise he will commence a holdover proceeding in Civil Court in Queens. I have a month to month tenancy in a family house. He's going thru Civil Court, I guess, because this house has illegal apts in it and so I think it qualifies as an illegal multiple dwelling. Someone told me that the termination notice must have INDEX NUMBERS on it.I don't know what these are, and I certainly don't see any of these on the notice. Does anyone know anything about these index numbers? If they are not on the termination notice, does that mean the notice is not legal?
: : ANY HELP greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name