Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Get to know your local bureaucrats

Posted by MikeW on March 31, 1999 at 12:01:51:

In Reply to: How Can I Check That My Lease Reflects The Proper Rent? posted by J.S. on March 31, 1999 at 11:36:22:

Contact DHRC, they can and will give you the registered rent history for the unit.

As far as maintenance problems, call the building department and get an inspection. If there are violations, you can unilaterally reduce your rent payments. This will trigger a nonpayment action against you in housing court. When you go to court, the landlord will have to defend the maintenance lapses. You may or may not have to give the LL some or all of the witheld rent base on the judges decision.

: A little background. I live in a rent stabilized apartment where I been since 1996. When I moved into the apartment, the landlord had not made any improvements, nor had he even cleaned the apartment. In other words, i got it "as is." I don't know how much rent the previous tenant was paying, but I know the laws are more strict with increasing rents in stabilized apartments. Basically I just want to make sure that my landlord didn't start my lease at an unfair rent increase (i.e. not stipulated by law). Does anyone know how I can check how much my rent should be?
: Also, my landlord is very hands-off in terms of taking care of the building. The hallways are dirty, there are missing panes of glass in common doors, hallway lights are going out all the time and being replaced by tenants. What are my options for either having the landlord take better care of the building, or possibly adjusting my rent to reflect the limited service that he gives the building?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name