Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Payback's a bitch

Posted by Nick on March 30, 1999 at 17:48:25:

In Reply to: Payback's a bitch posted by MikeW on March 30, 1999 at 12:24:46:

: : : Hmm..what sort of things do you suggest to drop?
: : I truly HAVE to admit that the temptation to write a "shopping list" is ever so great right now. But I won't.
: : You see, including such things on a forum like this might get into the wrong monitors and I'm sure there are "some" who would simply use info of this manner strictly for self-fulfilling reasons.
: : All I will say is; if you feel you have truly been abused by a landlord and you've completely exhausted all reasonable and sane measures to remedy a poor situation, the powers of imagination can be quite interesting.

: Regarding your previous suggestions:

: If the tenant damages the apartment, the LL can claim real damages. If they've exahausted the security (by using it for the last month's rent), the LL can sue for the damages. This may well not be worth the LL's while, but the chances go up with the amount of the damage, and the ease of proof.

: As far as calling the IRS, that esteemed government agency has some nasty habits of its own, like investigating the people who give it tips, as well as the subject of the tip. And they may not take an anonymous tip seriously.

The IRS does take tips seriously. I ought to know; I worked there for 10 years. But if you give them a baseless or groundless tip, one that clearly has no purpose other than harrassing the person you're trying to get them to audit, maybe they will audit you. After all, if you were in their shoes, what would you think of someone whe tries to use you to do their dirty work for them? If the tip seems legit, they should start an audit. If they find anything (such as security deposits seized for unpaid rent but not reported as income) they'll keep digging until they hit bottom.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name