Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: no security

Posted by John E. Marre on March 30, 1999 at 00:29:18:

In Reply to: no security posted by Amy Marsman on March 29, 1999 at 16:59:10:

Landlords are responsible for what has been called "reasonable security" in the courts. What this means, exactly, is anyone's interpretation.
However, from court experience, I could suggest:
If possible, get any reports you can from the police precinct regarding calls to your building (your complaints would be sufficient).
Keep a record of every telephone call you've made to the landlord concerning the lack of front door lock.
Send a letter, certified, return receipt, (and keep a copy of this) to the landlord describing the hazard and stating, in plain terms, that you want the door lock repaired/replaced and by when you feel would be acceptable.
Be sure to include reasons why you feel your security is being compromised by the absence of a functioning lock.
Next steps are up to you:
You could take the matter to housing court and have a judge order the repair of the lock (of course, I warn you, a judge's order means nothing at all to some landlords in NYC... I could mention a name, but will refrain at this point)
You could withhold rent in lieu of the repair/replacement if you feel it is worth your while. This will force the landlord to take you to court where you could present your evidence and, again, have a judge order the repair. You MIGHT be awarded some monetary abatement for the period covered by the absence of security (or not... see paren. above).
The choice is yours.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name