Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Never pay last month's rent --Immediate eviction?

Posted by John E. Marre on March 25, 1999 at 00:36:09:

In Reply to: Re: Never pay last month's rent --Immediate eviction? posted by Barry on March 24, 1999 at 22:59:37:

There have been other cases in Housing Court where landlords have jumped on tenants for rents not paid by even the 15th of the month. Most often, a judge will seriously question the sanity of a landlord who fails to wait the customary 2-3 months before litigating.
Also, unless you have some "special" lease, the standard lease includes verbage referring to normal aging, use, wear-and-tear, on a palce. That would include a few scratches in the floor and cracks in the wall. As for nail holes, yes, a landlord can be that petty. I had one retain a third of my security because of "necessary repairs to the walls" (I'd hung 5 pix, each were 9x11 inches)
If you believe you won't get your security back, just consider it the last month's rent and calmly move at month's end.
Retaliation is a nasty "game", but, if your landlord refuses to allow you to leave in peace, you could always "accidentally" drop something somwhere where it would make "accidental" but costly damage. (Oops). Or, you coudl have the revenue-ers investigate whether s/he has declared ALL of the rents received over the past years. Maybe even a building inspection.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name