Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Collecting an award/security deposit after the fact

Posted by Mark Smith on December 31, 1998 at 17:22:05:

In Reply to: Collecting an award/security deposit after the fact posted by DJeannette on December 31, 1998 at 17:14:20:

You could serve restraining notices on the tenants, requiring them to hold back twice the amount of the judgment, until the sheriff or a marshal can levy on the withheld rents. If enough of the tenants do this, that should get your landlord's attention.

: My landlord never put my security deposit in an escrow account -
: when I questioned him on it and moved out he withheld the total amount $850.
: I took him to small claims and won but so far have not been able
: to collect the money.I had the services of a marshal look into his bank
: account but it is under his and his wife's name. Now I need to obtain
: what is called a "turnover" order to gain access to the funds in the bank
: account but NYPIRG and even the small claims clerk's office do not how to go
: about obtaining this turnover order. Everyone says to get a lawyer but since
: the judgement is only $850, lawyers have not been that interested in this, plus
: I do not want to end up spending the security deposit $$ on lawyers fee if there
: is some way I can do it myself.

: Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name