Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate Problems - Sources of Info

Posted by MikeW on December 29, 1998 at 19:01:34:

My brother has a deadbeat roommate. First, looking through this sight, I didn't find sections on dealing with roommate problems. Is there anything to look at, here or elsewhere.

Second, how hard is it to deal with getting rid of a roommate in housing court? He is about to serve official notice, on the court form. Once the notice is up, how long can the roomate stall in court? How can the time till eviction be minimized? Can my brother cut off utilities and other services to the roommate?

If all else fails, what are the risks involved with putting the roommate out (remove their property, change the locks). I know it is illegal, but will anyone really care or do anything about it? The chances of this person getting any substantial legal representation are fairly small. Will the cops get involved? All transactions were done in cash, no bills were in the roommate's name, and none of the roommate's mail went to the address in question. How can she prove she was there?

The apartment in rent stabilized in NYC.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name