Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No FIre Esacpe

Posted by DK on December 28, 1998 at 18:17:52:

In Reply to: No FIre Esacpe posted by DF on December 25, 1998 at 18:40:12:

: I'm in a pre-civil war, four-storey, 36-unit bldg in the GV/Chelsea area. There are no external fire escapes on the bldg. However, there used to be two stairways (one of which was, for the longest while, obstructed). Several months ago, the landlord began construction on what was, the main entrance to the bldg. and had the entire stairway gutted. There's an open shaft where the stairs used to be and what used to be the access to the stairs, on each floor, is boarded shut.
: As I say, the stairs were gutted several months ago and progress is tediously slow on the re-construction.
: Is the fact that, in caase of fire, there is only one means of escape in violation of any code, law, regulation?
: Is there a time limit on how long this condition may remain?
: I'd really appreciate input.

This sounds like a pretty serious violation of the Multiple Dwelling Law which generally requires two means of egress for each apartment. ( You can find the Multiple Dwelling Law at tenant.net/Other_Laws/) The Department of Buildings enforces these provisions of the law. Call their complaint number. If you are really serious, send a written complaint addressed to "Complaint Desk, Department of Buildings, 60 Hudson St., NYNY 10013"

Many local fire companies will also inspect and write Fire Code violations when the second means of egress is blocked.

If you and other tenants in the building are REALLY upset, then you could hire an experienced housing attorney to get a court order immediately.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name