Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Taking over friend's lease

Posted by Danielle on December 25, 1998 at 22:24:35:

My friend has a rent-stabilized apartment in an up and coming part of Park Slope. He is planning to move out Feb. 1, though his lease doesn't run out till August.

I would like to take over his lease, but I don't know how much the landlord could raise the rent for a new tenant.

My friend mentioned something about a 15% increase, but didn't know what it was called. Also, he wasn't sure if 15% was too high for the market to bear. The rent is currently $1200.

I tried looking around for information on the tenant.net pages but since I'm not really sure what I'm look for, I'm not sure how to find it.

Also, looking for advice on -how- my friend can broach the topic with his landlord, suggesting me as the new tenant. He has had a very good relationship with his landlord and has lived in the apartment for 1 1/2 years. We were thinking that the fact that I am a woman, a computer professional AND a doctoral student would sound pretty stable to the landlord but another friend thought that being a student might be frowned upon for instability.

Thanks in advance,
Danielle

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name