Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

loss of electricity and sparks flying

Posted by suzanne novak on December 15, 1998 at 11:35:59:

I just moved into my apartment 2 weeks ago. on friday afternoon the electricity went off in 1/2 of the apt (including the bathroom), and sparks flew when we tried to turn the lights on. sparks also flew from the uncovered fuse box when we attempted to get the electricity to work. the super notified the landlord, who said that he would call his electrical contractor to come on monday. our electricity finally came on on sunday, and no contractor came yesterday (monday). i just spoke to the jerk landlord who said that he has a call in to the contractor, and will "let us know" when someone can come take a look. what are my rights? i think our apt wiring is very messed up and dangerous (i.e. exposed outlet/wiring). can i call an inspector and/or electrician and deduct it from my rent? can i deduct rent for the two days without electricity because my landlord knew about it and did nothing b/c he probably didn't want to pay a weekend electrician rate? thanks for any advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name