Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: well to begin with...no heat, hot water, gas meter, lots of noise from bar below, second-hand smoke like crazy. You get the picture...

Posted by john on December 09, 1998 at 01:32:57:

In Reply to: well to begin with...no heat, hot water, gas meter, lots of noise from bar below, second-hand smoke like crazy. You get the picture... posted by john p on December 02, 1998 at 22:41:55:

: I moved into a deserted jwerly store with a c of o for an apt & office. I had to tear the place down and then spend about $40,000 and more than six months of my time to build it into a somewhat habitable space. I signed an "as is" agreement.
: There is a bar directly below my apartment and the noise is often deafening and lasts until 4 or 5 in the am. (I know it's my fault for taking the place, but it was an act of desperation. It was here or Arizona. I spent a lot of money to soundproof the floors and walls, but still the noise is problematic. The owners of the bar are uncooperative and downright hostile. One threatened me on the street Thanksgiving eve and they have buzzed my doorbell at 4:30 in the am. Cute. I've asked the owner of the building to get the bar to pipe down.
: I replaced the electronic locks on the building doors because they were not working. The owner didn't even re-imbuse me for the materials! We spent a whole afternoon and about $60 on parts.
: During the year that I have now been here, there has been almost no heat in the apartment except from a grossly under-sized radiator which spits out a puny amount when it feels like it. I build gas lines to my laundry room and the kitchen, but then found out there is no gas meter. The landlord said its my responsibility. I've done more than my share here. I'm getting ready to quit paying rent.
: Now the boiler quit (four days ago). No hot water and (still) no heat. No noticeable activity on getting things fixed.
: Now my Sheltie puppy is even a bone of contention. After openly harboring it for several months, they demand me to get rid of it (the only ray of sunshine and happiness in my life).

: I signed a three year lease (brilliant). I'm paying premium rent. I want some money back. What should I do? Get a lawyer? (I met with one yesterday. He said I shouldn't pay any more rent).
: Should I with hold rent and wait to be dragged into court?
: Apart from sending certified letters, should I document the temp in the apt? I got the housing dept out here today and they gave the owner a summons.
: I operate a successful business (sort of a youth hostile) in the space. I don't want to move out.
: Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name