Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: housing codes for rentals.

Posted by DK on December 03, 1998 at 17:36:34:

In Reply to: housing codes for rentals. posted by Matt on December 03, 1998 at 14:00:47:

This is a more eseroteric question that you may think? The Housing Maintenance Code simply says that the landlord must provide electricity in accordance with the Electricity Code. The Electricity Code is written for electricians, not lawyers (how could that have happened?) so its like reading Homer in the original greek text. After you spend hours with a dictionary and a handbook on electrical terms, you'll be pleasantly surprised that the code is quite progressive and very favorable to building occupants--except that all prior legal installations are grandfathered. That exception is a hum-dinger in New York because the codes until the 1930's are barely relevant to today's electrical usage and needs.

As I recall 15 amps is all you needed until January 1, 1932. If your apartment is newer than that, you would benefit from researching the issue more carefully. Current codes require much, much more than 15 amps. Indeed, the current code requires a single circuit just for the refrigerator alone.

Remember, the landlord has to heat your apartment to 68 degrees between 6 am and 10 pm when the outside temperature is less than 55. Perhaps you'd be better off concentrating your efforts on that side of the equation.

: Where can I find a list of housing codes for rental properties in NYC? Currently, my entire apartment has a 15 amp limit, which is barely enough for a kitchen, let alone the entire apartment. This poses a problem, since I blow a fuse whenever I want to use an electric heater to warm this freezing apartment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name