Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I need advice so my roommate doesn't get me evicted!

Posted by Bryan A. Beaudoin on December 03, 1998 at 01:40:49:

In Reply to: Re: I need advice so my roommate doesn't get me evicted! posted by richard on December 01, 1998 at 16:09:13:

The remaining tenants are FULL TIME STUDENTS majoring in pre-med and environmental studies. Getting a second job IS NOT an option if we expect to be able to stay in school. We are in the process of locating another roommate or two but haven't been able to find one as of yet. To use a legal term, shouldn't the landlord make a "good faith effort" to try to locate someone to perhaps take over the person who wishes to vacate's part of the lease or even sublet to someone who is applying to live in the same apartment complex if the landlord is aware of our situation? How would the term "jointly and severably liable" apply to our situation, if at all? Shouldn't the management company who owns the building seek to collect from the vacating party before eviction proceedings commence? The guy who wants to leave wants to stay for the entire month of December. Rent for December was due on December 1st, and he still hasn't paid his share, nor does he intend to pay it. What can I do about this current issue? It seems to me that what he is doing is similar to trespassing.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name