Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help! My roommates wants to kick me out.

Posted by Bazz on December 02, 1998 at 23:35:12:

In Reply to: Re: Help! My roommates wants to kick me out. posted by Jane on November 26, 1998 at 14:56:38:

: Thank you so much for your help! But I don't understand what kind of
: rights does a "licensee" have? Plus, I went to the management office
: yesterday, but the manager said they have nothing to do with me. If my
: roommate wants me out, I am out!

: Sorry, one more question. You say I can withhold the last month's
: rent if she doesn't return my deposit. Is there any penalty for that?
: Thanks again! Really...
No penalty unless she claimes you damaged the place,so be smart take pictures before you move out!!1Got it? before you move out!!
also she would have to take you to court to recover for any damage claims vs you taking her to court to recover the deposit .....see how it works?

If the management office has been cashing your checks then guess what?
Yep, they have something to do with you.In fact it means that you and the management company have a relationship of the very closest kind. This means you must have the cancalled checks and so forth plus any cancelled checks for the utilities. this helps to establish that you are in fact a resident of the house and that gives you rights. How many rights in New J i'm not sure but they can't just kick you out. They make think they can, so if they get cute and try to toss your stuff or change the lock you will have to get tough and call the police, Then you explain (to the cops) that you do infact live there and you have an agreement, be very prepared to show the cancelled checks. Have then photocopied and in a safe place. At that point the police will tell you both to grow up and work it out....if the both of you cant come to an agreememt then it is off to civil court. oh yea you might want to be prepared to change the lock to your PERSONAL SPACE and only your personal space. this will preempt any wise guy ideas. PS try not to worry to much about it, you do that by being informed and prepared.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name