Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I need advice so my roommate doesn't get me evicted!

Posted by DK on December 02, 1998 at 11:46:37:

In Reply to: I need advice so my roommate doesn't get me evicted! posted by Bryan A. Beaudoin on December 01, 1998 at 15:30:10:

The roommate who is moving out is still responsible to the other roommates for his share of the rent until the expiration of the lease. The best solution is for you to agree on a replacement roommate. If you find one, your old roommate has to agree to let the new roommate take over his share of the lease. The remaining roommates who are on the lease have the right to have a replacement move in with them. (Real Property Law 235-f) The remaining roommates have a right to renew the lease if the apartment is subject to rent stabilization, but the landlord does not have to agree to add the new roommate to the renewal lease.

: My roommates and I agreed to pay our rent based on which bedrooms we occupied in our 1500 sq. ft. apt. Now, one of the roommates, whose name is on the lease, wishes to vacate without payment of rent for the remainder of the lease. The remaining tenants cannot afford to take on this extra financial burden, but can still afford to pay their previous portions of rent. What are the options for the remaining tenants if they wish to remain in the apartment but cannot afford a substantial increase in rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name