Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Fire

Posted by DK on November 23, 1998 at 23:17:29:

In Reply to: Fire posted by Balee on November 21, 1998 at 20:22:10:

It all depends on whether the landlord was neglegent in causing the fire or allowing it to spread.
If the apartment is located in New York City, you may also be able to obtain a court order requiring the landlord to repair the apartment. If you are subject to rent stabilization or rent control, you should also file with DHCR to preserve your right to return to the apartment. All of this is complicated and you should probably consult an attorney with special knowledge in the repair of fire-damaged apartments. (It's really a sub-specialty within the landlord-tenant field.)
Please post a follow-up with some more facts.
: There was a fire in the apartment below. As a result the structure to mine is also condemmed and i have to find a new place. Can I get the landlord to pay for the relocation cost and realtor's fee or can I claim it from her insurance company.
: Do I have any rights in this case?
: Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name