Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Any rights on notification of robbery / continual noise?

Posted by Fed up with apt complex on November 17, 1998 at 21:03:53:

I live in an apt complex in Iowa. I have had many problems with them recently. One of them involves them leasing to noisy tenants and not doing much at all about them. I've had 3 sets of neighbors in the past 2 years that have made me call in numerous times and which have affected my sleep. The first were found with drugs in their apt, the second ignored the warnings of the landlords (finally!) and the third have quieted down for a little while once I called the cops and security on them several times.

The second involves burglary at the complex. There are six buildings, and at least two of them have been burglarized at least seven times in the past month or so, by what is theorized as a pair of thieves who enter into apts through any unlocked doors while the owners are there sleeping. Iowa doesn't have the level of crime some other places do and we do get a little careless sometimes. Well, this month my vacuum cleaner was stolen, through my patio door which I didn't have barred at the immediate time (the lock is broken and the mgmt is never around to fix it). If I had had notice, I might have been able to prevent it.

Well, to make a long rant short, I'm moving out. I am on a month to month lease since the new company (changed hands in June) never signed me to their lease. I'm not giving a full 30 days notice because I don't feel secure in this complex and I am tired of the mgmt. I realize that I have to pay an extra month's rent, but I feel bad for other tenants of the place, particularly since many of them are nice families, who have been just as plagued by the noise as I have.

Is there anywhere I can complain or do anything so I don't feel so cheated by this company? Or do I just sit there and take it. I have been recommended to make signs after I leave stating the facts and recommending they lock their doors at night by a couple of people, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name