Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Harassment/breaking the lease

Posted by rajka on November 16, 1998 at 23:24:22:

We moved into our apartment four months ago. We signed a one year lease, but after about a month, the landlords started harassing us (they live below us). They don't speak English very well, but complained that we were "manufacturing something and making noises all night that were keeping them awake. We tried to remedy the situation by inviting them up to see our apartment and asking them specific questions about the noises (we both go to bed early so we couldn't figure out what they were hearing besides footsteps.) They couldn't understand our questions and continued harassing us. The harassment escalated to the point where they were screaming and swearing at my husband. They finally sent us a letter that said "if you are unhappy, you may vacate the premeses at any time"We sent them a letter back stating that we were very unhappy with the present situation and that we would like to move, but we needed some assurance that the lease would be cancelled. We found another apartment and told them we would be moving out in two months. They said that was fine and we agreed to the date and the return of our security deposit. I tried to talk to them today and to get them to sign something that says that the lease is cancelled. They refused. Am I liable for the lease if the landlord agrees to let us move out and gives us our security deposit back?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name