Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Transfering father's apartment to me

Posted by TenantNet on November 08, 1998 at 13:29:44:

In Reply to: Transfering father's apartment to me posted by Danielle on October 31, 1998 at 02:01:39:

: My father has lived in a rent-stabilized Upper East Side 2 BR for the past 6 or so years. Before that, his mother lived there since the late 60's, he lived there with her for half of those years. When she died in 1994, he had been living there for a while. Anyway, after some fighting, he was allowed to take over the lease.
: When he eventually leaves NYC, I want to take over the apartment. I have lived there with him for the past 3 years. However, I am moving out now. What can I do to ensure that I will be legally allowed to take over the lease eventually? I thought that being his daughter would be enough, but he suggested I get my name put on all of the utility bills and have mail sent there even after I move to make it look like I still live there.
: What can I do?

Rent Stabilized succession rights depend on the relationship (here not a problem) but also in that you lived in the unit 2 years prior to his leaving (one year if disabled or older than 62). This info is on the web site. You must live there. You could leave now and return, but make sure it's two years.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name