Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Really need more advice re: illegal rent

Posted by TenantNet on November 08, 1998 at 12:50:58:

In Reply to: Re: Really need more advice re: illegal rent posted by Pat on November 03, 1998 at 08:01:37:

: : Does anyone know the criteria for establishing two buildings as a horizontal multiple dwelling? How can I get proof that they are such?
: : Thanks,
: : Pat
: 11/3
: I had refused to pay rent increase by responding to landlord's attorney. I also questioned the status of the building in letter to attorney. Is it a co-op etc. and what is the legal rent? I've been harassed, insulted and threatened by landlord every day since. I was told that they will get me out without going into court (they refuse to take me to court). I know I need an attorney, but I would like to show the attorney as much proof as possible. I would like to be able to show that the two buildings constitute a horizontal multiple-dwelling. Can anyone suggest a way to go about this.

Look at the DHCR info sheets, policy statements, etc. on the website. It should be there, and then followup with DHCR. You may need to file a status request with DHCR but do your homework first. If they threaten to get you out without going to court, get this on paper or tape or with a witness. Notify your local precinct commander (not just the local cop) of these threats, so if anything happens, you can invoke the illegal evictions law (on the web site). Also call your local politicians.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name