Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord responsibility on gas leaks from pilot light going out?

Posted by TenantNet on November 08, 1998 at 12:41:42:

In Reply to: Landlord responsibility on gas leaks from pilot light going out? posted by Suffering from gas-poisoning indiced confusion.... on October 27, 1998 at 10:54:57:

: Twice in two months I have been near poisoned by what I perceived to be gas leaks. The first time my windows were closed and I woke up in the morning and vomited. My landlord sent a plumber who fixed the problem. Yesterday, I came home and the place was so full of gas, I had to open the windows, then go out for 2 hours while it aired out. I had to sleep with the windows open despite the too cold weather for open windows. When I called my LL, she said that it is just a matter of the pilot light in my stove going off. Is it normal for the pilot light to go off so frequently? (I admit I don't cook much). When I said I would go home and re-light it, she reluctantly agreed to send a handyman, fearing I might cause an explosion (I'm sure she is worried about the apartment, not me). Is this an appliance problem that the landlord should fix, or is this really normal? I hate to be ignorant, but I grew up with electric stoves. I'm a little concerned what would happen next time the light goes out when I am sleeping with the windows closed.

First thing is to discover the problem. It could be the pilot, but usually
pilots don't emit that much gas to full the entire unit. Look at a leak in the
plumbing connections. Get Con Ed involved and demand a "peppermint test"
that looks for leaks. Don't play around and don't worry about rent reductions
until the safety problem is cleared up.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name