Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Chimney repairs

Posted by Mr. Pro Se on November 03, 1998 at 01:56:29:

In Reply to: Chimney repairs posted by Michael on November 02, 1998 at 12:04:40:

I am renting a rent stabilized brownstone studio apt. in Manhattan

Those words are like music to my ears !!! ( RENT STABILIZED ) You have him by the " you know what department ". He must repair the chimney at his expense 100 %.
This was a feature of the apartment and I am sure that he used the feature to sell you on the idea that this is a great place and it has a working fireplace to keep warm and make a great conversation piece etc etc etc.

At the minimum you get a rent reduction for the loss of a service/fireplace.
Tell him straight and nice to fix it like it was when you moved in period. If not you could hold rent and then tell the Part 18 Housing Court Judge but then you go in a database as being a tenant that went into court with a landlord and it's a bad place to be re: can't get an apartment again in NYC Rent Stab bldg if they check the database cuz you come up as a " bad tenant " in their eyes etc..so the better thing to do is to file for a rent reduction and you won't be databased there as a landlord/tenant case
or go to small claims court and sue him for loss of the fireplace etc... no LT database in sc court.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name