Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord responsibility on gas leaks from pilot light going out?

Posted by Suffering from gas-poisoning indiced confusion.... on October 27, 1998 at 10:54:57:

Twice in two months I have been near poisoned by what I perceived to be gas leaks. The first time my windows were closed and I woke up in the morning and vomited. My landlord sent a plumber who fixed the problem. Yesterday, I came home and the place was so full of gas, I had to open the windows, then go out for 2 hours while it aired out. I had to sleep with the windows open despite the too cold weather for open windows. When I called my LL, she said that it is just a matter of the pilot light in my stove going off. Is it normal for the pilot light to go off so frequently? (I admit I don't cook much). When I said I would go home and re-light it, she reluctantly agreed to send a handyman, fearing I might cause an explosion (I'm sure she is worried about the apartment, not me). Is this an appliance problem that the landlord should fix, or is this really normal? I hate to be ignorant, but I grew up with electric stoves. I'm a little concerned what would happen next time the light goes out when I am sleeping with the windows closed.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name