Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: fire safety

Posted by TenantNet on October 24, 1998 at 08:12:21:

In Reply to: fire safety posted by Chendra on October 20, 1998 at 16:44:05:

: I do not have access to a working fire escape. There is a old, decrepid terrace that is unsafe to stand upon. I've called the department of housing but they insist upon revealing my name to the landlady if i complain. i don't know what to do. i love my apartment but i can't deal with the idea of a fire- also the fire alarms don't work. yesterday, i had a huge argument with my landlady about the issue in which she said, if you don't like it, you can leave, and she repeated that many times.
: should i buy a fire ladder and just bite the costs, take it out of my rent, or what? How can I get an inspector to come by and inspect the building w/o implicating me?

Check the Multiple Dwelling Law and Housing Maintenance Code. Most units are required to have two means of egress -- often satisfied with a fire escape, but there are other methods. Given that you've already argued with the LL, you might as well assume she will know who complained. Get an inspection. Also check with your local community board and fire house.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name