Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Falling Ceilings / I want out...or at least withhold rent?

Posted by Kel on October 16, 1998 at 16:43:10:

This is a long story... Last year there was a leak between floor (there are 4 floors, and only 3 apartments in the building - one per floor and a restaurant on the ground floor). A giant patch of mold grew and grew until my ceiling crumbled in my ONLY closet, flooding the closet and all it's contents. The building manager/ landlord responded immediately, and within 3 days the plumber and super were in my apartment, fixing the problem -- 4 months later they finished fixing it. It took them 4 MONTHS to fix half a small closet ceiling and half of a wall. In the mean time they came into my apartment 5-6 days a week (which meant putting my dog in the tiny bedroom every day until they were gone). All of my belongings were in the livingroom (since they were 'fixing' the closet). While they were 'fixing' the problem they coated everything I own in plaster dust - every day for 4 months! My clothes, my couch, my TV, my stereo, etc. They did not clean up one thing. In the mean time they demanded rent, and refused to pay for cleaning expenses (though they did eventually agree to reimburse dry-cleaning, but not reg. laundry). Did I mention it took 4 months to fix? I took pictures and documented the event, and my landlord was very defensive, not helpful. So, now, 5 months after the catastrophe is finally over, the ceiling in my bathroom has fallen in, from the same leak, and it is once again raining in my closet. I do not have the patience to relive this again. And I just thank the powers that be that no one was in the shower- or else a 5ft x 4ft chunk of plaster, wood and concrete, probably would have killed them, or me! And did I mention, it's raining in my closet again, and the new wall and ceiling are torched? I've had it. I don't have the time or energy to deal with this again. Is there any way to get out of my lease -- or at least not pay rent until the work is done. They say I can shower (they cleaned out the concrete yesterday), but rubble is still falling out of the ceiling, and the previous chuncks tore out my shower curtain rod. These are only the major problems I've had. Lack or water, consistant lack of hot water, sketchy electricity, and a number of other things have been common problems. Each time they say they'll fix it -- it just breaks again. I pay $2000 per month, and I don't want to deal with this sh*# anymore. What do / can I do? Please help!
Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name