Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Mislead Landlord

Posted by Peter on October 13, 1998 at 22:21:49:

My story and Question:

My wife and I plus two kids moved into a rent stablized one bedroom apartment not too long ago, four of us in all. The apartment building has families with this set up throughout the building and to my knowledge everyone is fine.
Prior to moving into this building I spoke to the super about the apartment (he refered me to the landlord for a fee) and I told him the apartment was to be occupied by myself, my wife and two kids. I did not mind the space because I needed to move really badly (lived with family) and gave the Super a check for one months rent plus security for the landlord, receiving the key for the apartment door.
I later discovered after I tranfered utilities and arranged for the move (spent money on funishings, etc.) that the landlord did not want four in a one bedroom apartment. The super then asked me to report one child on my lease, Because he had lied to the landlord about the number of kids I had. For fear of loosing my security deposit and the apartment I filled out an application when I met the landlord and within moments of filling out the application, with the one childs name. The lease was drawn up with both our names and the childs name. The Landlord added next to the childs name (One child) and gave it to me. I was nervious and read the lease from top to bottom as I walked away.
I noticed on the lease (stationary type, rent stablized) that filling out a faultly application would lead to a defalt in the landlords favor and can cause the landlord to cancel the lease and evict me. Only because I read the Tenant Rights Book located on this website that I now ask...

How long do I have to wait before I add this child to my lease? and because I can have family members moving in with me (other than overcrowding) do I have to hide the fact that I have a second child prior to adding the name to the lease?

The Super has and will keep this lie to his-self and has been helpfull in repairs and services, but the landlord has been known to show up on occasion and drop in on tenants to talk business. I would like to know the time frame in which I can freely talk to about additional occupants.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name