Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Say what!! -- Al??

Posted by Al Gordon on September 17, 1998 at 12:12:56:

In Reply to: Say what!! -- Al?? posted by Kevin Willcutts on September 16, 1998 at 14:25:32:

Kevin,

By the book, you may be right. It doesn't always work by the book here as you will here from others if you inquire. If it all worked by the book and landlords could not get away with harassing tenants (and vice versa to be fair) then answers would be cut and dry as you would like to have it. (Yes, actually this is why we have such supportive websites, your right. Though I'm sure TenantNet wouldn't see it that simply).
People can get away with many abuses here and sites like this try to combat that. It is sort of the spirit of our city. It's a jungle out there.

As a wonderful NYC example, my landlord once caught a kid red-handed spraypainting on our building wall (I witnessed this). The landlord ran after the kid and tackled him. A brief struggle ensued and the cops showed up. The landlord wanted to press charges. He is entitled to. The cops kept suggesting alternatives, e.g. make the kid clean it, call his parents, etc. Finally the landlord gave up and said OK make him clean it. [The cops didn't want to do the necessary paperwork. It would have been tedious for them].

Citizens (including landlords) know this all too well. So, although a landlord may not be able to get away with it by the book, he just may get away with it in practice. And then you have the bureauratic channels of justice that you may use to try to seek justice from him but he knows that you may not be willing to go through the trouble. It's a war-zone.
Some of us do whatever we can to make it better but there is a lot of the 'slack' to deal with in the meantime.

Your comments are respected.
9/17/98

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name