Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Occassionally No Hot Water

Posted by Charles Bessio on September 15, 1998 at 20:28:44:

In Reply to: Occassionally No Hot Water posted by John Cristiano on September 15, 1998 at 12:24:14:

John, when you have a lack of heat or hot water you need to call the city
housing complaint number at 212 960 4800. File a complaint and ask for an inspector. They are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The heating season begins Oct 1, 1998.

The super let the cat out of the bag by telling you that the equipment can't handle the load. That's not your problem. It's the landlord's problem and he needs to upgrade the system. There is a thing called "warranty of habitability" and he must provide hot water at all times as well as fresh cold water etc. I suggest you visit the following web site and read the information provided there. It is the NY State Atty General Tenant Handbook. It is: www.oag.state.ny.us/business/tenantgu.html
All NYC tenants should read and memorize it. Another thing to do is to
either join Met Council or subscribe to their monthly paper called TENANT. The subscription was $2.50 a year last year. You can call them at 212-693-0550 M W F 1:30 to 5 pm.
I personally would not wait 30 days to get heat, hot water or anything after sending a certified letter. I would call the super and the landlord and if the heat did not come on in a few hours, maximum, then I would call the number for the city I gave you. Take care

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name