Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: lease renewal nightmare!

Posted by Mark Smith on August 15, 1998 at 04:11:32:

In Reply to: lease renewal nightmare! posted by Jeff goodin on August 14, 1998 at 12:10:17:

Assuming that you live in New York State (and I wish people would say where they live when they post questions), by law, the landlord generally does not have to give a notice at the end of a lease, except in the case of a month-to-month tenancy. Check the lease to see if any notice is required. Even if it is not, the landlord would have to bring a holdover proceeding against the tenant and any subtenants or other occupants. This should give you some time to find another apartment. Since you didn't sign the lease, the landlord can't get a judgment against you for use and occupancy or attorneys' fees. However, depending on your agreement with the actual tenant, that tenant might be able to go after you for the amount of any judgment.
>
>
: I have lived in my apartment for two years and have not been late on a single payment, nor have we received any complaints about noise, etc. Our lease is up and the roommate that is on teh lease is leaving. We found another rommate and i wnated to put the lease in my name and the landlord is rufsing. He says he wont rent ot us because I have two delinquencies on my credit report. I have a cosigner with superb credit but he wont even consider one. Therefore, i have to be out in two weeks.
: --Do I have any rights even though I was on the lease only listed as a rommate (I didn't sign it).
: --Does two years of a perfect payment record stand for anything?
: --Since he only informed us two weeks before we had to be out, do I have any legal ground to buy another month in the building to find a place. i have offered but he wont accept it. He says hed rather have it empty than have a person with "suspect credit living there.
: Any help with these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name