Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What are my rights in Georgia?

Posted by David Hoffman on August 05, 1998 at 16:48:07:

In Reply to: What are my rights in Georgia? posted by Sharon on August 05, 1998 at 14:46:09:

First of all, you are living in a state and city that cares little about renter rights. I know, I live in GA also. On the issue of the stove, I would call the local city or county building inspectors office and ask if they have a program to come out and inspect stoves that seem to pose a fire hazard. Make sure you tell them it is a gas stove, that will be more important to a fire or building inspector than an electric one. If the building inspectors office does not handle the problem you may be able to call the fire inspectors office and get them to send someone out. Make sure you tell them it is a rental house and that you are the renter not the owner. As for the window, see if the building inspector will look into that also if he/she agrees to come to look at the stove. Send a letter about the stove and window to both the building and fire inspector even if you contact them by phone. Just mention the phone conversations in the letter. As for the carpet the best bet is to offer to pay for the removal of the old carpet and padding, the new carpet and padding, and the installation of the new carpet and padding. Make sure you get to pick out the padding and carpet type. Do NOT give the money to the landlord or realestate agent. Just get them to agree to let you replace the carpet at your expense. Water damaged or just bad carpet is common in GA rental properties, particularly in single family home rentals. Obviously you won't be able to take the carpet with you if you leave but you will get a nicer living environment while you are there. Concentrate on getting the landlord to replace the dangerous stuff, (stove and window), and pay for the niceties yourself.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name