Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Poor elevator system

Posted by LM on July 27, 1998 at 18:21:53:

I live in a 300 unit, 30 story building with three elevators. Ever since I moved in 6 months ago, there have been problems with the elevators - they don't run properly, are constantly getting stuck, they don't stop on the wrong floors, etc. In addition, there is no ventilation in these elevators.

Last week one elevator was put out of commission, and the management company said it would take a week to fix. Meanwhile, the other two elevators are not running efficiently. Tenants have had to wait as long as 20 minutes to get an elevator! I'm getting great exercise running up/down 22 flights of stairs, but this is not an option for most people.

My question is, do the tenants have any legal recourse? The management firm said they will be upgrading the elevators and they will run "perfectly" once the renovation is complete, but they have not set a date with the contractor. It seems to me that two elevators servicing 300 apartments is inadequate, and with rents between $1800-2400 per month, this is unacceptable!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name