Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Speculatively.

Posted by Jana H. on July 24, 1998 at 18:17:50:

In Reply to: Speculatively. posted by AL Gordon on July 24, 1998 at 18:04:21:

: Speculatively speaking. One would assume that if your landlord provided a bathtub with a showerhead, then it would have to be a showerhead in working order. You should call the ‘Department of Buildings’, they can probably assist you. If you declare that you privately worked on the showerhead then the landlord may be able to claim that it is damaged due to your unauthorized work. The landlord may also claim that damages were caused by your negligence by allowing water to spill onto the floor while showering by not having the curtain closed and that the landlord assumes no responsibility. Pipe or part corrosion is something that he can not blame you for. Just a few thoughts. Get more advice. JULY 24, 1998.

Thanks for your reply, AL. I thought exactly the same thing--how can you know a showerhead shouldn't be used? It's there, so the assumption is, it's a working shower. I had verbal instructions on other things in the apartment, when moving in (including a pretty stern lecture on cleaning the lint screen in the dryer--a fire hazard), but not the shower. The water damage was actually caused by water leaking into the wall (and then the floor below it) through the shower tiles, which should have been re-grouted, presumably. I am told by other tenants and previous tenants that this was a problem in the other three units in the building, and the shower heads were permanently removed. I guess the landlord would rather do this than spend the money to properly install the shower. Additionally, the person who repaired the shower was a member of his family who lived on-site for a couple of years, and was making minor repairs and doing yardwork, etc. I have some books coming to me that outline tenants rights in the state of Illinois, and have also been advised to get a copy of the local Housing Code. Can't believe I'm going to this much trouble for such a miniscule amount of money (the deposit was about half a month's rent in the year that I moved in), but I feel I must pursue it. I will never again rent without a lease, that's for sure. Thanks for your response!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name