Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP...Sleazy landlord offering to buy me out of lease

Posted by Anna Jones on June 19, 1998 at 10:42:58:

My landlord is offering me money to give up my lease...I am interested, but do not know my rights on the issue, or how much $$ would be fair for me to ask for. The situation is complicated...I left the apartment for a few months, and cleared out my clothes, food, etc (left my furniture...planning to return after a few months) and while gone, my landlord broke into the apartmment and changed the lock, and then waited for me to call them. They must have seen me moving my things, and were wondering what was going on, and they CLAIM I left the door open, which is definitely FALSE.I am now in another state temporarily, and think it would be best to take their money and just let go of the place, but I do not TRUST my landlord, and want to be sure, if I accept his offer, that I have the money in my bank before I give up any legal rights to the apartment. As it stands, I have furniture in the apartment. and a few friends had keys to check on the place and my mail, but now THEY can't even access the apartment. WHAT DO I DO???????

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name