Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is the Super allowed to attend a tenants meeting?

margaret posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 23, 1998 at 14:28:29
Subject: Is the Super allowed to attend a tenants meeting?

I live in 20 family rent stabilized building. Recently, one of the tenants in good faith decided to put up a notice for a tenant's meeting to discuss a couple of problems that need to be addressed by the owner of the building. Just as the meeting was about to start, the super came up from her apartment and sat down much to my surprise. More surprising was the fact that most of the tenants present were glad to see her there. The super tried to crack a few jokes during the meeting and every other thing out of her mouth was, "He'll never go for it." It was my belief that the super did not belong there as there is no doubt that the owner was notified by her of everything said at the meeting. I would like to inform the other tenants that I'm perfectly willing to participate in any association they choose to form, however, only if there is no representation of the owner present. After all, it's a "tenants" meeting and the super is not a tenant. The problem I have is that several of the six apartments represented kept saying at the meeting that the super was our liaison to the owner. The person who called the meeting wrote up a small, disorganized list of issues that was discussed and gave every tenant that was present a copy including the super. I'm hoping someone here might be able to tell me if the super is in some way prohibited from attending a tenants meeting. Since I'm in the minority in thinking that she doesnt belong there, I thought perhaps I could print out any response I got from this page to back up my belief that any representation of the owner should not be attending tenants meetings. I thank you for any help you can provide.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name