Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

re: abusive neighbor/break lease

c.s. posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 17, 1998 at 14:05:13
Subject: re: abusive neighbor/break lease

: I posted this message yesterday, but I'm desperate!! I'm a single working mother of three living in a one-bedroom apartment and I have a huge problem:

: I signed a lease for the year 10/96 to 10/97. Since that lease has expired, I had not received a lease renewal from my mgmt company, although I have been paying and he has been accepting each month's rent at the 96-97 rate.

: I found a new apartment and asked the mgmt co. for a letter stating my credit standing with them and payment history. When I went to pick up the letter, I was told that they couldn't give me the letter until I signed a new lease with them.

: According to them, they sent me a lease renewal in May of '97 and I did not return it so they chose a one year lease for me. In this lease renewal they supposedly sent, the rent was increased so now I have to pay the difference of the two rents from 10/97 to the present.

: I only live around the corner from the mgmt co. and every month they physically slip my rent bill under my door. I asked them why didn't they slip a lease renewal under my door. Or if I owed back rent, why wasn't it reflected on any of the rent bills from Oct. on? No answer.

: Now I can't be approved for my new apartment until I receive this credit letter, but I can't get the letter until I sign a new lease. Please help!!! The Landlord is not requied to give a letter of reference. If you sign the lease now you will be responsible for the rent difference plus any new rent until the new lease expires. My advise would be to see if you can get an alternate address (maybe a relative) and say that was your residence.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name