Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord playing games with lease reassignment?

Stuart Romm posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 14, 1998 at 18:57:44
Subject: Landlord playing games with lease reassignment?

I vacated my apartment before my lease was up and am seeking to reassign the lease. Can my landlord tell an acceptable new tenant I sent to him that the unit has already been re-rented, and then tell me it's still vacant and I still owe rent? I vacated my apartment 5/1/98, before my lease was up, due to my job transfer to another city. I've paid rent through June and posted ads on the Internet to find someone to take over the lease. The landlord told me that the lease could be reassigned to an acceptable tenant. After speaking with a prospective tenant on 5/12, I arranged for him to pick up keys from the concierge. He viewed the apartment on 5/13 and liked it, then went to the rental office and said "I'd like to rent that apartment." (I'd asked him to call me first, but whatever). They told him "we've already re-rented that unit. Let's look at some others." Obviously, they'd rather collect rent from me and put someone in a vacant apartment than have someone take over my lease. Fine, but when I put someone in their office saying "I'd like Stuart's apartment," and they know where to call me (Stuart), can they snatch him out from under me and then tell me the apartment is still my obligation, as they are doing? I think its fair to show him other units in addition to mine, but can they tell him we've already re-rented Stuart's place and then tell me they haven't?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name