Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent increase, can he really raise it 14%?

Lyn Peticolas posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 14, 1998 at 17:04:13
Subject: Re: Rent increase, can he really raise it 14%?

: : Hi I was wondering if someone out there might be able to help me or direct me in the right direction.

: : I am living in a private apt (house) in Astoria, Queens. My self and my husband have been living there for 2 and a half years. We live in the first floor apt. We pay $900 (with Gas & Elect included) the apt is a 2 bedroom or should I say the landlord calls it a 2 bed room. There are no closets etc.. in the apt and it is very small, the kitchen is all old and the stove only works when it wants. The refrigator is so old, forget about that, we had to go and buy a little freezer ourselves.

: : Well tonight the landlord called us down to his apt and told us that he was raising the rent $125.00 per month, and that we have to give him money towards the gas & elect. I told him that we would get our own account, but we can't as he lives in the basement and he has the meter there and no more can go in the building. He told us that he will decide how much we give him per month.

: : My question is can he raise the rent 14% and all of a sudden start to charge is gas and elect????

: : We were going to go and look for a new apt, but we are planning to move back to Ireland in a year and we have pet's (birds), very quiet, thank god.

: : If someone can give me an answer or direct me in the right way I would really appreciate it.

: : Thank you for your time and the ear to listen to my problem.

: : Take care.

: : Annette

: My understanding from reading the law is that how your situation is handled depends partly on

: what kind of lease you have. If you are a month-to-month tenant, he has to give you notice

: of 30 days (an he just did so) that he is raising the rent and changing the

: rules (about the utilities) and he must notify you in writing. That means the increase will go

: into effect on June 1. I don't know if there is a limit to how much he can raise the rent.

: Good Luck!! Our Land lord has informed us that she will be raising our rent 50% as of July 1. Your landlord can charge only a certain percentage more if you live in a building with 6 units or over. (that is my understanding, anyway) Call the Legal Aid Society or your neighborhood association for more precise information. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name