Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

breach of lease

Tim posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 14, 1998 at 15:00:23
Subject: breach of lease

I am living in a large apartment complex. Unfortunately, I need to break my lease due to an immediate job relocation. From my understanding of Real Estate methods, I am supposed to serve a thirty day notice to vacate. I served a thirty days notice, but the rental agency says they will not accept it (they didn't "recognize" it). They said that I have to fill out their "own" form in the case of a breach of lease. My original lease says nothing about having to fill out their form. Anyhow, I took a look at their form, and it's basically the same as a thirty day notice, except that they have all these extra charges attached. They said they will charge me for "office setup" and "finding a new tenant"...etc. Do I have to sign their form? Don't they have an obligation by law to recognize my thirty day notice as well as make an attempt to "mitigate" my damages? Thanks. Also, do you know where I can get a copy of NY State Real Property Law?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name