Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord won't give credit letter for new apartment

Anita posted in the TenantNet Conference Area

Dated : May 13, 1998 at 14:58:13
Subject: Landlord won't give credit letter for new apartment

I posted this message yesterday, but I'm desperate!! I'm a single working mother of three living in a one-bedroom apartment and I have a huge problem: I signed a lease for the year 10/96 to 10/97. Since that lease has expired, I had not received a lease renewal from my mgmt company, although I have been paying and he has been accepting each month's rent at the 96-97 rate. I found a new apartment and asked the mgmt co. for a letter stating my credit standing with them and payment history. When I went to pick up the letter, I was told that they couldn't give me the letter until I signed a new lease with them. According to them, they sent me a lease renewal in May of '97 and I did not return it so they chose a one year lease for me. In this lease renewal they supposedly sent, the rent was increased so now I have to pay the difference of the two rents from 10/97 to the present. I only live around the corner from the mgmt co. and every month they physically slip my rent bill under my door. I asked them why didn't they slip a lease renewal under my door. Or if I owed back rent, why wasn't it reflected on any of the rent bills from Oct. on? No answer. Now I can't be approved for my new apartment until I receive this credit letter, but I can't get the letter until I sign a new lease. Please help!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name