Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord demands cash only for rent & retalitory harrassment

Posted by Jackie on May 05, 1998 at 00:29:11:

In Reply to: Landlord demands cash only for rent & retalitory harrassment posted by Barbara Erickson on May 03, 1998 at 07:53:05:

:Can anyone advise me why my landlord has always asked for cash for rent and has refused every check I gave him. Also, because, I can only withdraw only $300, sometimes I am a day or two late as I have to get the remainder of the rent ($50.) on the next day. I would rather pay him by check, so I do not have this problem. What can I do?

You've been paying cash for 4 years?! You did get recpts didn't you? I know someone who paid cash to rent a business office and her landlord tried to sue for nonpayment. She had no proof that she had ever paid rent at all.

Does your lease specify that you pay in cash? If not then I'd pay by check. If he refuses to take it, collect the written checks, put the money in a separate account so that when you go to court the judge knows you intended to pay. There's no way he can force you to pay by cash unless you agreed to it in a lease.
Protect yourself, pay by check or at least get his signature on a recpt.
If he wants his money, he'll take the check.

: Also, are ants swarming the kitchen sink a case of "inhabitability"?

Your landlord won't spray? actually with ants you can sometimes get rid of them by washing the trail away and killing any scouts you see. Personally I'm not real big on chemicals anyway, but sometimes you have to resort to them. It is your landlord's responsability however.

: I rent a room in the landlords house. Since I moved in (4) years ago, now, he has not provided me with a lock on my bedroom door.

That's just erie. I'd buy a lock. You have the right to privacy and security. you're paying for it.

: He often leaves the house and leaves a note for his piano students to enter through a side door, no matter if there is anyone here or not. Does this violates my right for security?

Absolutely!! I'm not a landlord yet but I soon will be so I've been reading about tenants and landlords rights and responsibilities. I would suggest that you visit the library. and anyone else reading this - protect yourself, learn your rights. that's what they're there for.
What if his student was a homosidal maniac? Does he at least give you the curtousy of telling you he's expecting someone?

: My landlord is exhibiting signs of retalitory harrassment, as I had to call the police on him twice since I lived here. Once, for playing piano
: drills til 3 AM after I come home from work at midnight, he did this for several nights til I finnally had to call the police. They came and asked him to stop playing. Another time, I was in my room with the door open, my landlord came home and started shouting at me for changing the temperature controls on his refrigerater and that a bottom bin of grapefruit he picked from his backyard had frozen and spoiled. I told him I had to change the temperature as my milk was going bad. Would these be grounds to withhold rent on a month to month agreement?

Personally, I'd be packing. The first time he was annoying. but the second time you had to call the police because he was yelling at you? Did you feel you were in danger? Or was it just harrasment again? Even so, I'd be packing. And I'd pay that last rent with a check!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name