Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Over 250% rent increase.

Posted by MikeW on April 14, 1998 at 11:43:22:

In Reply to: Over 250% rent increase. posted by Heidi E. White on April 06, 1998 at 21:40:41:

You did not state whether the apartment is rent stabilized. Given the situation you describe, it probably isn't. That being the case, you are in a month to month situation. She can make the rent whatever she wants, and can ask you to leave pretty much at will. If you refuse to leave, she still has to get an eviction ruling through housing court. If you fight, that could take her a couple of months.

: Four years ago, i remodeled a Brooklyn one-room apartment that had not been lived in for @15 years with a verbal agreement with the landlord/bakery owner that i would pay for all remodeling. The apartment is directly above the bakery; there are three units in all and the building is at least 80 years old.
: The L proposed that I work part-time for her bakery, i.e. primarily as the accounts payable while managing the store, doing tradeshows, translating for the employees, and doing sales (with commission), etc. My pay was a low rate $4.50 an hour and my rent was $50. a month. This was her offer; i worked for her for two years.
: A year and a half ago, she cancelled my sales commission with the reason that she had paid me enough. She raised my rent to $450 while stating that i could continue working for her at the same pay. I quit and have been paying $450 - (this lease ran out 5 months ago). I am a grad student and now have a couple of adjunct positions; however, I cannot financially accomodate this increase.
: Last week, she told me that my new rent will now be $700. She stated that I must pay a $25./ month increase each month until I reach $700 as this would give me the time to adjust financially or move out. None of this is on paper except the old $450/mo. lease. Also, it should be noted that the apartment is not worth this amount. Last week, i had an electrical fire due to faulty wiring; the apartment has never been inspected and i'm sure there are a few violations.
: Obviously, I do not want to move out. I apologize for all the details but i am searching for any possible recourse that might allow me to stay in my home. Thank you for any advice you might be able to give me.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name