Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Renters rights in Virginia

Posted by TenantNet on March 22, 1998 at 08:20:01:

In Reply to: Renters rights in Virginia posted by Terri Rimmer on March 05, 1998 at 11:13:02:

: I moved into a house in Stafford County Virginia at the end of January 98. Since that time, the heat in the house has not worked. I have informed the owner of the house about this situation at lease once a week, sometimes 2 -3 times. He came over two weeks ago, and said "I will take care of this." He knows the fan unit does not work correctly, although I doubt he'll admit this. Well, he still hasn't done anything to fix it. The situation is this: I have to go outside and go into a crawl space where the fan is located. Then, I have to trip the switch in order for the fan to go on and give me some heat. Problem is, it only stays on for a half hour at a time, then it goes off again. I would literally have to go outside every half hour and turn it on to have heat etc. Needless-to-say, that is unacceptable. My house is 50 degrees most of the time. I am cold and angry. Since I am new to Virginia, I really don't know my rights. I am from New Jersey, and I know I could withhold rent (and have!) until he takes care of a "basic need" such as heat. Can anyone out there familiar with Virginia law tell me what I can do? I suppose getting a lawyer is the next step. This guy is a cheap schmuck who is just pushing me over the edge.

We can't give you details of Virginia law, but most places have minimum hear requirements.
Make written complaints to the owner and contact the municipality. If you withhold rent,
your defense would be warranty of habitability (no heat).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name