Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Terminating Lease due to Job Transfer

Posted by rain on February 06, 1998 at 10:40:57:

In Reply to: Re: Terminating Lease due to Job Transfer posted by William Rowen, Met Council on January 31, 1998 at 23:30:16:

Mr. Rowan, you provide good advice, but do you have to chastise this person? "Do you always do what you are told," was not an appropriate way to respond. You could have ditched that and you could have made a more favorable impression. Considering you work for such a good organization, I was pretty surprised by the remark. These people know that some things aren't fair or right, for that matter, but they don't need someone in a position to help making snide comments.

: : I have been notified that to move, I must pay an additional month's rent and forfeit my security deposit....Is this legal since I must move due to job transfer, or is there a law that allows me to be released with a 30 day notice?

: : Thanks for any help.

: Do you always do what you are told? The landlord can't stop you from moving, so the real question is whether you incur a liability by refusing to pay the extra rent. Since you give little information regarding the status of the apartment or when you might be vacating, it is difficult to stratigize with you in detail.

: The best general advice I can give is to point out to you that the essence of the situation is who has power. If you are leaving the state of New York, the landlord has almost no power to recover any rent he claims is unpaid. It is very difficult to collect a debt in another state.

: If you want more info, call Met Council Mon., Wed. or Fri., between 1:30 and 5:00 PM at 212-693-0550, or leave me an email with detail.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name