Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Increase/Security Deposit Question

Posted by TenantNet on January 31, 1998 at 12:50:57:

In Reply to: Rent Increase/Security Deposit Question posted by WAL on January 21, 1998 at 13:16:11:

: My landlord charged me a double security deposit. I have also been told that if the landlord does not notify the tenant within 30 days after accepting the security deposit where it has been deposited - they must refund it. Can I get my security deposit back?

See the CTRC fact sheet on security deposits on the web site.

: Second Question - where can I get a history of the rent charged on my apt? Someone told me that I can get a "rent report" from DHCR - where? I suspect that my LL illegally increased the rent between tenants on a rent stabilized apartment. I have been told that if this is the case I can seek a rebate for the difference - is this true?

Yes, it's true, but these days DHCR refuses to give you anything beyond
four years -- in violation of the law. The new law restricts claims of
overcharges to four years, but you have a right to see what happened
prior to that. If you can't get it from DCHR public info, the file a
Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name