Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Being sued for back rent, but I paid in cash

Posted by Tenantnet on January 18, 1998 at 02:42:51:

In Reply to: Being sued for back rent, but I paid in cash posted by Eddie on January 15, 1998 at 13:41:04:

: I am being sued by my landlord in small claims court for 2 months back
: rent, When I moved in, I gave the landlord a security deposit check and a rent check. My security check was cashed but my first months rent check bounced so I then paid the landlord in cash to avoid further embarrasment. I have since paid in cash. I am renting a private residence so therefore there wasnt any lease. How can I prove that I paid the rent without a receipt or cancelled check. Please help Quick.

Always pay by check or money order or get a receipt. Otherwise it's your
word against his. If you took the money out of a bank account to pay him,
you could (at least) support your claim if you can show bank records
of your withdrawing the money shortly before you paid him. Not proof,
but goes to your credibility.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name