Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can't get security deposit back. Any advice?

Posted by ed laherty on January 06, 1998 at 19:04:55:

In Reply to: Re: Can't get security deposit back. Any advice? posted by TenantNet on December 31, 1997 at 04:30:46:

: : I entered into a one year lease agreement with my roommates on September 1, 1997. I broke that lease on September 16 (less than 30 days), and moved out on September 29. I agreed to pay October's rent and all my utility bills in full even though I wouldn't be there. They found another roommate who moved in by November 1.

: : Now, they're refusing to return my security deposit. They've stated that since I broke my lease, I'm not entitled to it. They're also claiming that the hardship I placed on them by moving out justifies their holding the security deposit. I argued that I have 30 days to break any contract and also paid for an extra month's rent -- giving them 6 weeks time to find another roommate.

:
: This appears to be a roommate dispute, not a LL/T issue, but even so, why in the world did you pay them October rent if they already had your deposit. There is no 30-day contract breaking allowance that I know of anywhere, but still, your options are to go to small claims court or learn from the experience.

You have to go to small claims to get your money back; it will take a while but you should get it back.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name