Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Still obligated to pay rent, But Landlord must use security Deposit

Posted by Dan Poris on December 31, 1997 at 20:39:27:

I have recently consulted with an attorney regarding my case, and was advised that I still have a legal obligation to pay rent since I broke my lease. However, the landlord must use the security deposit first before he can require me to pay any rent. I have written the landlord a letter and sent it certified mail. In this letter, I advised him of my legal rights, and requested he use the security deposit as next month's rent. I have reason to believe however, that this security deposit was not secured properly in a seperate interest bearing account. I also have reason to believe that he will say that I have damaged the apartment and that repairs needed to be made with this deposit. I took as many pictures as I could of the apartment before I left
and had my friends witness that the apartment was in good condition. May I sue him if he refuses to give me full credit for my security deposit? Do I have a leg to stand on?

need help fast January 1st is around the corner!

Thanks,

Dan P.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name