Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord problems

Posted by Mariel on December 29, 1997 at 17:09:45:

In Reply to: Landlord problems posted by Shammi on December 28, 1997 at 21:25:33:

: Presently I live in a brownstone and I have been experiencing ongoing leaks in my apartment. Today I had a verbal argument with my landlord about the problems that he said was fixed when in fact it has not been. I am tired and I am not sure what I should do. Should I refuse to pay rent until the matter is resolved? Should I fix it myself? Should I get the law involved? If I get the law involved, who should I call first? I am in NYC.
: I certainly would like some advice from anyone who has experienced similar problems
: Thanks
: Shammi

I assume you are not in a rent-controlled apt. That means the owner can decide to not renew your lease if he/she feels you are a "problem" tenant. If you really like the apt. and feel like you have a good deal, you may want to just fix the leak yourself (and pay for it). Otherwise, you can withhold rent and go to court over it (make sure you have evidence).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name